Housed in a 2U rack unit, the Michelangelo is an all tube, stereo EQ that is completely focused on sonic beauty! This EQ is certainly not aimed at precisely targeting certain frequencies, for it is intended to be a broad strokes EQ that also acts as a harmonics generator. This one of a kind EQ is at home during any phase of the music production process (tracking, mixing, or mastering), for the overall sonic signature it leaves, coupled with its complete ease of use, is rivaled by none!
The Michelangelo is a discrete, Class A, all tube, full stereo unit, with Jensen transformers in and out.
- The BYPASS switches allow the user to completely disengage the Michelangelo at any time in order to properly A/B a mix (true bypass).
- The TRIM control allows the user to match the volume coming from the Michelangelo to any desired level.
- Left and Right CALIBRATION is used to gain match the Left and Right signals, accounting for any volume discrepancies encountered. Interestingly enough, these calibration controls can also be used to alter the tonal response of the Michelangelo if so desired. For example, it is possible to bring the Calibration volumes up and the Trim down, resulting in the Michelangelo driving the signal harder than normal, increasing harmonic content.
- The AGGRESSION control alters the drive in the circuit, allowing you to push the tubes for extra saturation.
- The LOW, MID, and HIGH controls manipulate the three EQ bands, but in a way that adds more dynamic, harmonic content the higher the EQ is set. Take note that the Mid control covers a massive amount of territory while the Low and High controls are narrower by comparison.
- The AIR control boosts the ultra high frequencies and is typically a favorite control in this unit.
- LOW SHIFT changes the Low control in order to target all frequencies below 150hz or 80hz.
- MID SHIFT alters the response of the Low and Mid controls, essentially assigning the low mids to either control.
- HIGH SHIFT changes the High control in order to target the frequencies above 1khz or 2khz.
- The VINTAGE switch toggles between a “modern” mode (think more hifi), and a “vintage” mode (darker, older sounding).
- LoZ/HiZ alters the output impedance of the Michelangelo in order to dial in either a more colored tone (HiZ) which ill interact with gear following it in your chain, or a more clean tone (LoZ) which is largely unaffected by gear following it in your chain.
1/3 GAIN RANGE
The Standard Michelangelo can also be ordered with the ranges of the EQ controls (Low, Mid, High, and Air) limited to approximately 1/3 of the normal gain range. This modification can often be more useful in a mastering context whereas the full range is often better in a tracking or mixing context.
The Michelangelo can also be ordered in a stepped version if desired, when precise recall is necessary. Each control is built using high quality Elma switches, and the controls are altered in the following ways:
- Aggression actually remains unchanged, other than becoming stepped.
- Low, Mid, High controls have been altered to offer +/- 6bd range (12db swing), with roughly .5db steps.
- Air offers a 6db boost with roughly .5db steps.
- Trim remains unchanged (from zero to max volume) in 2db steps. Max Trim = Unity